Monday, February 11, 2008

Sunday Wedding

Originally, J and I decided on Saturday, Oct 24, 2009, for our wedding date. After talking with a friend and doing a little research, we discovered we could save a bundle if we had the wedding on a Friday or Sunday.

I didn't like the idea of a Friday wedding. I'd have to hold it too late in the day because I wouldn't expect people to take off work for my wedding. Holding it late would also cause problems with lighting for the pictures, and I don't want J to see me in my dress before I walk down the aisle to him.

I was also a little nervous about a Sunday wedding because I don't want people bailing early because they have to get up for work the next day. I ended up settling on a Sunday with a reasonable time-frame. I don't think the ceremony itself will take more than 30 minutes. We're doing a civil ceremony, so there is no mass to worry about. Then, a cocktail hour when we can do photos, and finally a five hour reception (all in one location). If we were to finish up by 8 or 9pm, people could stay for the entire time if they want, and we could just hold a small get together after at a family member's house for those who aren't ready to call it quits.

So far, the timeline looks something like this:

1:30 - 2:00 - Ceremony
2:00 - 3:00 - Cocktail Hour/Photos
3:00 - 8:00 - Reception
8:00 - ?:?? - "after party"

or

2:30 - 3:00 - Ceremony
3:00 - 4:00 - Cocktail Hour/Photos
4:00 - 9:00 - Reception
9:00 - ?:?? - "after party"

My only concern is that the cocktail hour seems awfully early. As I understand it, the traditional cocktail hour is at 6pm. I'd like to hold the cocktail hour outdoors if it isn't too chilly that day. We're holding both the ceremony and reception in the same location, and I want time for photos, so I don't see another option for that hour. Meh, J and I aren't really 'traditionalists' anyway, so maybe it's not really a big deal after all.

No comments: